Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Baby Shower

I wanted to write on the feelings and emotions that come with adoption. That is part of my reason for this blog. (and to brag like crazy about Jadon and my hubby) So in all the whirlwind of activity that accompanied our selection as adoptive parents and getting ready to bring a little one home, and make the perfect nursery, and so on.....there was a moment that touched me deeply. My close friends Carrie and Sarah threw me a baby shower. That might not seem big to many people. All women who have babies have a baby shower. But that isn't so.

As an adoptive parent, you want so badly to experience everything that a pregnant woman would experience, and yet, when you don't have a belly hanging two feet past your toes, it is amazing how much you think you will miss, because no one knows to ask. And there is something about bringing up the topic. How do you ask your friends or family to throw you a baby shower? I really wanted to experience that, but would never have asked.

Luckily I didn't have to, my fabulous friends leaped into action. The moment we got the call that we had been selected, they were off and running. They put on the most elegant, perfect baby shower in less than 3 weeks, and I felt so blessed. I wanted to cry the whole day, because it was really happening. I was getting a baby shower, because I was getting a baby. It was surreal and weird, and wonderful all at the same time. (granted the weird part may have been because I stuffed a pillow in my shirt and pretended to be prego for the shower).

The secondary blessing that came from having a baby shower thrown for me, was that Jadon arrived almost two weeks early, and I would have been lost without the thoughtful gifts I received from my friends.

Now I should mention that my family threw an awesome shower after Jadon came home, and filled the gap by purchasing just about everything else I was still lacking.

So let me take a moment to say thank you to Carrie and Sarah for providing something every adoptive mom secretly hopes someone will remember, and for making it amazing and special. And for all you out there who are friends of adoptive parents or soon to be parents....please throw them a baby shower, complete with cheesy games. I guarantee its something they would love.

No comments:

Post a Comment